Attempting to eat healthfully can feel a bit overwhelming for many people. Do not confuse eating healthy with strict dieting and sacrificing delicious foods. Eating healthy can be very beneficial – physically AND mentally. At first, there can be a lot of confusion as to which guidelines are proper. Remember: “Knowledge is POWER!” Understanding how better nutrition benefits your health is half the journey. Here a few short tips that can help you improve your healthy diet:
Lower your sodium intake. When it comes to protein, choose from a variety with plenty of lean protein options. Avoid trans fats and eat sugar in moderation. Read about which foods are beneficial.
- Drink more water.
- Water can help you cut calories by using it as a substitute for sweeter beverages.
- Instead of having 3 meals a day, try 5 small meals a day at least 3 of the meals should contain fruits or vegetables.
- Portion out your meals to contain ½ fruits and vegetables.
- Try color-coding your vegetables and fruits. More colors translate to more nutrients that are beneficial.
- Add whole grain products to your meals.
- Whole grains contain antioxidants that are not found in fruits and vegetables
- It is a good source for fiber and iron.
- Try substituting some of your food products with whole grain.
- Switch to low sodium, no salt added, etc.
- Poultry – Chicken or Turkey Breast
- Bean or Soy Products
- Lean cuts of ground beef
- Other than being able lose weight and look better, understanding how food can benefit you emotionally and physically can help your mentality when switching to a healthier diet.